23 Jul Ofer Eitan Imply: 10 fair food recipes that you can make at home
Deep-fried Oreos, corn dogs, various meats on a stick, giant turkey legs as well as other odd and unique foods have become a much-anticipated staple of summer fairs and festivals.
However, with fairs, festivals and other outdoor gatherings cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, these savory and sweet summer treats won’t be making their rounds to local communities.
Don’t let the virus rob you of indulging in some of your favorite summer treats. The Greeley Tribune has compiled a list of 10 recipes for favorite fair food treats that you can make at home. A note for shopping — with fair food being synonymous with deep-frying, you might want to stock up on the oil!
- Deep-Fried Oreos are a dessert consisting of an Oreo dipped in batter and deep-fried to a golden crispy brown and sprinkled with powdered sugar. Take the joy one step further by dipping them in chocolate sauce. For the recipe, go to https://bit.ly/2OMlNen.
- Chocolate-covered bacon combines savory and sweet goodness into one awesome snack. You can use milk, white or dark chocolate for the dipping. Sprinkle with sea salt, crumbled pistachios, walnuts or almond bits. Check out the recipe at https://bit.ly/3eSFtrI.
- Corn dogs take the yumminess of hot dogs, wrap it in a blanket of thick cornmeal batter and deep-fry it for fun food on a stick. Change things up with substituting cheese sticks for the hot dogs or by using different sausages. For the recipe, go to https://bit.ly/3eONOfN.
- No fair, festival or outdoor gathering is complete without funnel cakes. The swirly deep-fried dough is often topped with powdered sugar, fruit compote, whip cream and other goodies for a crispy sweet snack. Funnel cakes are made with staples that are often already in your cupboard like flour, sugar, baking powder and vanilla extract. For the full recipe, go to https://bit.ly/3eOeopr.
- Enjoy the refreshing taste of lemonade at home with just three ingredients — lemon, water and sugar. Or if you are feeling spunky, kick it up a notch by substituting sparkling water or adding fruit like fresh raspberries, strawberries or cranberries. For more creative lemonade ideas, check out this site https://bit.ly/3jwEJvK.
- Take a nod from nobility and cook up some giant turkey legs to feast on. Throw in some grilled seasoned corn on the cob to make it more of a complete meal. For the turkey leg recipe, go to https://bit.ly/39kE5Nt and for seasoning ideas for grilled corn, check out https://bit.ly/2ZOywn2.
- Frito Pie combines the tastiness of a taco in a mobile chip bag. Start off with small bags of your favorite chips like Fritos or Doritos, add seasoned taco meat, cheese, lettuce and other goodies. For recipe and ideas, go to https://bit.ly/2OQpzDm.
- Whip up a batch of your own kettle corn. But beware, your family won’t settle for regular popcorn after tasting this sweet snack. You can use brown or white sugar and add in things like Chex cereal, chocolate chips or peanuts. For the recipe, go to https://armagazine.com/3hqdNvP.
- Take pickles from simply being a condiment to a salty treat by dipping them in batter and deep-frying them. The recipe works well with other pickled veggies like pickled peppers. For the complete how to recipe, go to https://armagazine.com/2X2ok91.
- If you’re looking for the ultimate artery clogging, indulgent, calorie consuming fair food, then check out this recipe for deep-fried butter. Yes, you read that right, deep-fried butter. The unique snack was created in 2009 at a fair in Texas. Check out the recipe and how-to video at https://armagazine.com/3htR8i6.